Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, January 25, 2008

Hola Santiago!

Hello Santiago! I am back in my city after a six-day journey to the American Meteorology Society annual meeting, this year held in New Orleans, LA. Here are some photographs that I took on the last day. Captions are above the photo (or photo series).

A visit to New Orleans would not be complete without having an order of beignets (fried dough caked in powdered sugar) and hot chocolate at the Café du Monde adjacent to Jackson Square. Mmmm!




Gabe, Cory, David, and Brant after we chowed down on some beignets.



Jackson Square, looking back toward downtown.

Cathedral St. Louis

General Andrew Jackson


Inside Cathedral St. Louis.


The altar of the cathedral.



Definitely a "must-see" in New Orleans!


Typical of the festive mardi-gras atmosphere. FYI, we left New Orleans on Jan 24th, and Mardi Gras festivities culminated on "Fat Tuesday" January 29th. So we left just as the craziness was kicking off!

Several of my classmates from OU had a quite good time at Fritzel's jazz pub....


... and who wouldn't have a good time at a place that sells $3 hurricanes?

Of course the "original" hurricane claim belongs to Pat OBrien's.


As we were leaving Bourbon street on the final day, we encountered a parade!


And what is more appropriate than the "Rue Bourbon" sign with the Jester bar advertising Daiquiris (and pizza)?



I have a couple of photos from our last day there that I will post soon. I also owe pics from the hike I took two weeks ago. Stay tuned!

Until then, here is a great quote from C.S. Lewis's Narnia series, in "The Silver Chair." The excerpt was highlighted by Dwight Edwards, whose emails I am receiving as a gift from my former mentor, Bob Reed. Enjoy how Lewis portrays the lion (who represents Jesus Christ).
"Are you not thirsty?" said the Lion. "I am dying of thirst," said Jill. "Then drink," said the Lion. "May I — could I — would you mind going away while I do?" said Jill. The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience. The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic. "Will you promise not to — do anything to me, if I do come?" said Jill. "I make no promise," said the Lion. Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer. "Do you eat girls?" she said. "I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms," said the Lion. It didn't say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it. "I daren't come and drink," said Jill. "Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion. "Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then." "There is no other stream," said the Lion.
This week in the US was great to catch up with friends, attend a few talks, browse a few posters, and generally recall the American culture I had left behind since arriving in Santiago in early December. However, the week was weird in the sense that I really didn't engage the scriptures or spend any significant time praying. That is one thing I have loved about Santiago, namely, the chance to sit on my balcony and read through the gospels. So I am happy to be back here! After a few hrs at work, I'll stock up at the supermarket, go jogging in the park, and maybe even try to practice my spanish with my neighbors. Should be a fun weekend!

2 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, January 27, 2008, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

hey babe. cool to hear aabout it all. how european was the european bar? was it something straight out of kralupy or graz? you and your crazy air miles you be gettin

 
At 1:12 PM, January 29, 2008, Blogger Steph said...

Great to see you in New Orleans! Our camera was stolen on the last night we were there, so all of our pictures are lost. :( Thanks for sharing yours.

I'm reading the Narnia series right now and have never read it before; I'm really enjoying the books so far. The religious metaphors are a lot less subtle than I thought they'd be. Go C.S. Lewis!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older