Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, June 16, 2008

Of earthquakes and tornadoes

**EDIT JUNE 19 2008**

*** NWS Amarillo found tornado damage in the Oklahoma panhandle from a storm on June 15. Thus, as of 19 June, the "streak" of days with at least 1 tornado report continues. We are now to 29 days, including May 22 and all the days to and including June 19. ***

1. Yesterday, June 15, marked the first 24-hr synoptic period (12Z to 12Z) without a reported tornado in the USA since May 21. That's a total of 24 consecutive convective-day periods with at least one tornado report. Unfortunately the tornadoes were not isolated to unpopulated areas, and the SPC is reporting that 18 people were killed during this stretch.

2. While at work about 20 minutes ago, I felt another earthquake. This one was preliminarily rated M4.7 by the USGS, and its epicenter was located about 80 miles from Santiago. The rumbling and slight shaking lasted for about 7-10 seconds, enough for me to glance up and think "this is an earthquake." Then I noticed the water in my water bottle was rippling (as if you had thrown a stone in it). And then it ended. This makes the third definitely-noticeable earthquake I've felt here in Santiago (a couple other times I've felt a slight rumble while in my apartment, but they lasted no longer than a second or two and I figured they were just trucks/busses passing on the street below).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older