Desierto norte de Chile

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A few inaugural thoughts


A few thoughts on the inauguration:

1- I taught this morning from 0855-1145, so I figured out how to get the msnbc.com feed into my classroom, and I setup a "dual panel" on the display to show my powerpoint in upper-right and the live video feed in lower-left. I'm not sure my students paid too much attention to me, but honestly, I'm not claiming to have been the most important thing going on at that time anyway!

2- Why did Rev. Warren pray for such a LONG time? I mean, Obama himself only talked for ~ 18 minutes; Warren went for at least 4! The best prayer of the program, by far, came from the guy who gave the benediction: he spoke from his heart and delivered a communique to God that was eloquent, witty, and straightforward. Warren tried too much and, in my view, failed. His words themselves were forced: why was he the only one who mentioned that Barack Obama was the first black president? I think the world already knew that. I think ministers shouldn't "preach" while they're "praying", which is what it seemed that Rev. Warren did.

3- There are thirty-five words in the constitutional oath of office (Article II, Section 1, Paragraph 8). You would think the Chief Justice would have them memorized, eh? He cut off Obama, and then messed up the only inaugural oath that will be stored for posterity (he relocated the world "faithfully" to the end of the first phrase). Oh well, they caught it and finished fine.

4- What a crowd!

2 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, January 21, 2009, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

I think your observations are spot on. I happen to like Rick Warren but was not particularly impressed with his prayer. Agree w/ you on the benediction - I laughed.

Believe it or not, I am hearing some conservatives say that they are offended by the 'may white embrace what's right' line. They say he is trying to be divisive. I don't see that.

The sheer number of people just amazed me. I cried from the quartet piece w/ Yo-Yo Ma til about halfway through Obama's speech.

I'm not totally convinced that Roberts didn't flub that line intentionally. Hate to think like that, but it's a possiblity.

Definitely a new day for America!

 
At 3:26 PM, January 22, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree with you re: Rick Warren. It also annoyed me that he finally mentioned Jesus at the end, and only then in a bunch of different languages. I loved that little old preacher who prayed for the red man to get ahead and the white man to get it right, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older