Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, January 30, 2009

A (tabbed) window to my world

Today I spent time prepping for a lecture on fog & clouds, and I found myself hunting for images, animations, explanations, etc. online - all to augment the lecture and give it a more multimedia feel. Around 1:30 pm, I realized that Firefox was moving slower than normal. While waiting for an image to load, I decided to check my hotmail email, which was already opened in the first tab. So I started scrolling back to the left among the tabs to get to Hotmail. I immediately found out why Firefox was moving so slowly: I had 50 (fifty!) tabs open in one Firefox window. That, combined with the 2 Excel spreadsheets, 5 powerpoint presentations, and Outlook & Paint programs I was running, seriously contributed to the slowdown.

Guess I'll have to go close some tab windows now - although I could see just how much longer I can go before a crash!

2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, January 30, 2009, Blogger mellanie said...

How much RAM does your computer have? Geez!

 
At 4:27 PM, January 31, 2009, Blogger Dianne said...

wow, i have noticed that before. :-) back in your office in sarkeys, i would drop by and you'd have a dozen windows open, and i would wonder how your computer could run like that. and now it's tabbed browsing... wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older