Desierto norte de Chile

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Travel, travel, and more travel

It's good to be back home in Annapolis! I spent the past two weeks traveling, first in Los Angeles, CA at the AMS Mesoscale Conference, followed by a weekend in Denver, followed by the past week in Boulder at the COMET Faculty Satellite course. All were informative, and I'm inspired to develop great courses and carry out a cutting-edge plan of research. But I'm also tired, and it'll be good to be back here, jog around the stadium, and joke with Casimiro, Factor, Jose, Balta, and all the rest tomorrow. In fact, this last 12-month period, ending right before the start of fall classes, has seen me travel tremendously! On my flight out to LA two weeks ago, I actually counted up how many nights I slept away from my own bed. The list is staggering:

1 night- Iglesia Emanuel campamento de jovenes (late Aug)
4 nights- AMS Mountain Meteo conf (late Aug/early Sept)
2 nights- Greenville (mid-Sept)
2 nights- Cru fall retreat (mid-Oct)
2 nights- Grape Day, Lubbock (late Oct)
4 nights- Spain & Portugal (mid-Nov)
5 nights- Christmas (late Dec)
8 nights- Chile trip (late Dec/early Jan)
3 nights- Nat'l Air Quality Conf (early Mar)
8 nights- Cru spring break trip (mid-Mar)
1 night- French/Adams wedding (mid-Apr)
14 nights- SWIFT (mid/late May)
2 nights- NYC (late June)
1 night- Toronto (early July)
8 nights- NC Beach (early July)
12 nights- AMS Mesoscale conf, Denver, COMET workshop (late Jul/early Aug)
---------
77 nights away from Annapolis, or 21.1% of the year away.

Of these 77, 38 (or 49%) of the nights were for work. That's over 10% of the year on travel for work. What a productive year it's been!

**EDIT** Thanks, Steph W., for reminding me of two trips I forgot to include!

1 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, August 13, 2011, Blogger Steph said...

You left out Grape Day and a certain wedding in mid-April! :-)

We travel just about as much as you do, so I know the feeling, but I wouldn't live life any other way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older