Desierto norte de Chile

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Monkeys

This post was taken from an email I sent out to several friends. Enjoy! -brad

-----
So, okay, this is funny! This morning, I was walking to the Met Institute with my Jamaican roommate (he is here for a 6-month course on Hydrology, being taught at the Institute). We had just crested the hill where I always break a sweat ( it's dreadfully humid .... 82/78 or something like that in the a.m), and he says in his great Jamaican accent: "eh mon, yusee de monkey?"

I was like, WHAT? First off, I didnt even understand his first words, all I heard was "monkey" and I thought he was meaning the plant, or flower, or something. So he pointed, but I kept walking, thinking it was a joke or something. Then I turned back, and he was serious! There, in the cluster of trees at the driveway of the Met. Institute, live a "herd" (what is the word??!) of wild monkeys! They are brown, about the size of a dog, and jump around in the tree tops!! I'd walked past those trees at least 10 times, but failed to notice them ... probably b/c I'm hurrying to get inside, where we do have air conditioning ... unlike in my house, where it is hot most of the time .... my travel alarm has a thermometer, and it routinely registeres 30.0 C [sometimes 30.5 C!!] as I fall asleep ... 30.0 is 86 degrees F!!

Anyway, Kevin (the Jamaican) tells me that "dem monkeys are fierce mon" (imagine his accent!! Hahaha!) and advises me to stay away from them! So, if you get the chance to come visit me, we'll have to be sure to stay clear of the "fierce monkeys"!

Just a little humor I thought I'd pass along!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older