Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, September 23, 2005

Who says weather in the tropics isn't interesting?

Today I was treated to a most exciting sight. I finished my typical Friday routine at the Met. Institute and walked back down the hill to the apartment (didn't see any monkeys though). I had decided to bake a chicken and cream-of-mushroom-soup dish, so when I got home, I went in the kitchen and put it in the oven. Proud of myself for cooking, I walked back into the bedroom and happened to glance outside the back window, only to be greeted with this:



"Holy Cow!"

I shouted something at my roommates akin to "Y'ever see a waterspout?", dashed outside, and gazed upward at the spectacle that had spun up about 5 to 7 miles away, down just offshore the west coast of Barbados. I ran back inside to get the camera (remind me to always have the battery charged ... I lucked out this time!) I took a few more photos and soaked up the wonderful display of nature unfolding before me. Backlit and rain-free, the only downside to this treat was that the base was obscured by trees and buildings.

After viewing the waterspout for about ten minutes, it dissipated. I turned around to head home and was greeted by this rainbow. I couldn't get the crepuscular rays to show up on-camera, but they were equally impressive!

Who says weather in the tropics isn't interesting?!!

3 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, September 25, 2005, Blogger Stephanie said...

hey... came across your blog... pretty neat pics you took, now was that a tornado or was that rainfall? We just got back into Houston after evacuating for Hurricane Rita! Cheers to you in Barbados!

 
At 12:19 PM, September 25, 2005, Blogger Brad said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the post. I believe it was a waterspout, essentially a tornado over water. Hope you and your family weathered Rita okay! -brad

 
At 1:13 PM, November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup, definitely jealous... after living in OK for 4 yrs and never seeing a tornado (despite several chase attempts, even), i am really really jealous of your luck! and great pics. =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older