Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas in Austria

Tomorrow I go with Florian to Paternion, in southern Carinthia and south Austria, to celebrate Christmas with he and his family. It should be a crazy good time of some singing, lots of eating, and gift-giving. I don't really know what to expect, so I will wait to post my feedback after the event!

On the 26th, Tim (cousin on dad's side of the fam, from Augusta, GA) arrives here for a week of skiing and cross-cultural adventure. "Do you even know how to ski, Brad?", you may ask. And I would answer, "Ummm. Well, I have been skiing twice in the mid-1990s, but it has been over 10 years, and I admit I'm a bit worried about lasting an entire week!" But, do not fear, as a side trip to Lichtenstein (the only country that borders Austria that I have not visited) awaits me - and maybe Tim, too, if he's skiied-out at the end of the week.

Tim and I will celebrate New Year's somewhere in the mountains, and then he heads back to the USA from Munich on Jan 1st. That's when I head back to Graz for my final 2 weeks of research in the Genoa cyclone study at Wegener Center. Wow, how time flies. Seriously!

In a few other notes:

- I was accepted to live in Kraettli Apartments on campus at OU, which is exciting for at least 2 reasons: first it is close to the Nat'l Weather Center (by bike, 3 mins; by car, 1 min.); second it is populated with mostly international students, and the opportunities to be a neighbor to people from many places is exciting to me! Additionally, I plan to room with my friend Ryan, with whom I have been friends for almost 5 years.

- I was accepted into the OU short course on Climate Change at the end of January. Besides the interesting topic, it gives me my final 3 course hours (to complete the requisite 60 post-baccalaureate credit hours OU requires for the ph.d. degree).

- I know I owe photos from Venice, Budapest, and Prague. Sorry! Adding photos to blogger is time-consuming. Maybe it's time to upgrade and go with the google-linked version ... adding pics might be easier there (I hope so!!)

Frohe Weihnachten und gutes neues jahr von Österreich!

1 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, December 27, 2006, Blogger lizard said...

Danke schoen! Sagen Sie hallo dem Von Trapp Familie in den Bergen. :-)

(Sorry no umlauts on this keyboard)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older