Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, December 24, 2007

¡ Feliz Navidad !

Hello from Santiago, where Christmas in summer is in full swing and the people are finishing up their shopping. I've been busy myself this past week, settling into my new apartment (which means many trips to the local stores to buy things like pots/pans, trash cans, cleaning supplies, bowls, etc.) and taking spanish classes. My classes at Escuela Bellavista are finished ($289 for two weeks).

Here are a few highlights of the past week:
- Last Sunday at church, I was treated to a great solo rendition of the spanish version of "O Holy Night". Mike & Charles will fondly remember St. James's Betsy Reid, who annually belts it out for our congregation in Greenville, NC. Well, different language, different country, but same result! I laughed to myself throughout the song, remembering how Mike, Charles, & I so enjoyed Mrs. Reid's hitting the high notes. This guy (okay, a guy) also belted it with mucho gusto!

- Boomer Sooner in Santiago? It's common to see second-hand tshirts here (some of them have interesting english phrases ... I'll make a collection and post them one day), but walking down the main street, Alameda, last week I saw a young chilean guy wearing what looked to be a new (it was bright crimson) "Oklahoma Football" shirt. Very strange indeed! And it occurred before I saw my alma mater, UNC, on any clothing. Of course the NYY - New York Yankees - are to be found everywhere.

- On a related note, yesterday I saw a young chilean guy wearing a Baylor t-shirt. What's with the Big 12 schools??

- Wed. night I joined some of my spanish class friends for dinner in Bellavista. Our group was quite international: one Chilean, 5 brasilians, a guy from Holland, and me. We had a very nice time, and I enjoyed a plate of what I'd describe as stewed beef (without the veggies, just the big piece of meat) and french fries. Mmmmmm!

- Thu. night I made spaghetti and invited a friend from work over to eat before we went to a bar to watch Round 1 of the local futbol championship (futbol = soccer). I so much enjoy hosting people, and I enjoy eating, so what better way to make a new friend than to host someone for dinner? It might have been a little strange / over-the-top, but I probably have that reputation, too.

- Friday was GREAT! Our school organized a visit from one of the local charities, Shine a Light, (for lack of a better word) that works with underprivileged youth in the outskirts of Santiago. We had gifts, games, and an overall a great time. I played soccer with some of the boys, and while we were eating ice cream, we played "Rock paper scissors", which is definitely international (they immediatley knew how to play). What fun!!

- Saturday I joined a group from the school on an excursion to Valparaiso, the nearest coastal city (1.5 hrs by bus). Valpo is an incredibly distinct town ... with many hills and narrow, winding streets, and a strong bohemian presence. I would say it's the most "hippy" city in Chile. Our tram back to the bus station was delayed for about 30 mins by a travelling troupe of street performers, who were dressed somewhat like 1800s USA settlers and dancing in the street. It might have been more interesting, but I was exhausted and just wanted to get back to my bus terminal.

- On Sunday I visited a street market, a "Feria," where I bought some fruits at pretty good prices. It was neat being probably the only gringo in the area --- and one of the vendors asked me why I was there (& if I worked in Santiago).

I'll post some of the photos from Valparaiso once I can get my camera battery charged.

Merry Christmas from Chile!

2 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, December 24, 2007, Blogger Dianne said...

merry Christmas from VA, brad!! have you found the southern cross in the sky yet? it's my favorite constellation. ;-)

 
At 6:59 AM, December 31, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

a bohemian presence, huh? well... you know what the true bohemian presence is like first-hand. I guess we almost live in the same place

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older