Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving, Greenville style

Dad and I drove east from Norman on Sunday (18 Nov), departing at 8:45 p.m. and arriving in Little Rock, AR at 2:30 a.m. We left the Motel 6 at 7:45 a.m. Monday and arrived in Greenville at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday (20 Nov).
Twenty-two hours in a Penske moving truck is not my best idea of fun! But we had a good trip, good conversation, and no mishaps (accidents or speeding tickets). I also got to visit with Chris & Elaine, friends from OU who currently reside in Asheville. We stopped at the McDonalds on I-40 exit 44 and they met us there.

Tuesday I took care of some errands, bought a few Christmas presents, and rested. Wednesday I took the dogs on a walk, went jogging, and Charles & I unloaded the moving truck into a storage unit near the house. Once he moves into his new house/apartment, he'll take possession of my furniture, pots/pans, bedroom suite, etc., but for now there is no more room in my parents' house (hence the storage unit). Thursday all of Mom's side of the family (minus Dottie and Aunt Edna and girls, who went south to Florida) ate lunch at our house. We had turkey, dressing, gravy, ham, collard greens, green beans, corn, orange jello, pineapple casserole, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, rice & mushrooms, sweet potato fluff, pumpkin (butternut squash) soup, and for dessert, pecan pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and carrot cake. It was delicious!! Before eating, we took Penny, Springer, Lambeau, and Maverick on a walk (two separate walks to curb the chaos), and Charles & I went jogging over in Cherry Oaks subdivision.

Today some of the family went shopping to try out the early morning specials, and CG and I went back at 10 a.m. to get a few things. Circuit City has had major difficulties, both in the stores and on the internet. I bought a few things online and went to the store an hour later to pick them up, only to find out the store didn't even have a record of my online purchases. Furthermore, when I came back home to check on my order status, the circuitcity.com website automatically redirected to "http://www.circuitcity.com/closed.html", with a fun message saying they were updating their site and asking me to check back later. What a rousing success for their "black Friday" operations?!


Later today we will join the Barrett family for Chinese buffet in Cary. We'll make a weekend out of it, visiting, playing cards, and attending the NCSU-Maryland football game on Saturday.

Below are some photos of my visit with Chris & Elaine in Asheville (where we had to unhook/rehook my Honda from the Penske truck b/c McDonalds didn't give us enough turnaround room) and of the Thanksgiving celebration here yesterday.









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older