Desierto norte de Chile

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Sopaipilla: NOT from Mexico!

Last night I learned something very amusing: the sopaipilla is not from Mexico. Leo and I went out to eat at On the Border and for dessert I wanted him to try their sopaipilla. He looked at me like "sopa-what?". A quick check of Wikipedia reveals the source of his bewilderment: the sopaipilla is from New Mexico, not Mexico! Those New Mexicans and their trickery! So next time you go to a Mexican restaurant and chow into the honey-glazed sugary goodness that is the fried dough of a sopaipilla, remember not the Alamo but old Santa Fe!

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, October 09, 2007, Blogger Jenny said...

I would have never guessed! Good to know.

 
At 7:34 PM, October 11, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Hmm. I've learned something new!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older