Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, September 21, 2007

Ramadan, frisbee, & football

Last week, 13 September, perhaps 1 billion people began thirty days of fasting (from food and sexual relations) during the holy month of Ramadan. My Jordanian neighbors in the apartment below kindly brought me a generous sample of their fast-breaking dinner last night. Today I enjoyed salad (a simple fare of diced tomatoes & green peppers, some lettuce, olive oil, and a few crunch bread pieces on top), rice, and chicken and potato stew. It really was filling! I don't know the significance of Ramadan, other than what I found online. I gathered that it is a time for Muslims to draw close to God, and perhaps receive forgiveness for sins. As a Christian, I have learned that faith is the way to draw close to God and receive forgiveness for sins. I believe that God eagerly awaits us to seek him out. By believing that Jesus' death was a substitution for me and his resurrection was God's demonstration of authority, I can draw close and receive forgiveness. It's really that simple.

This afternoon I'm looking forward to tossing around a disc with my "frisbee friday" guys. The humidity has returned (alas for a *dry* season here!), but we'll survive! After our frisbee game, I've invited the guys back to my apartment to watch OU beat Tulsa. A few years ago, I remember sitting in Paul Riley's living room and watching OU almost lose to Tulsa! Hopefully the result will be different this time :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older