Desierto norte de Chile

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

VIVA MEDELLIN !!

After reading this well-written article in the NY Times about Medellin, once the "most dangerous place on earth", my heart is gushing with fond memories of my time there. In Dec./Jan. 2005/2006, the city was alive with celebration, energy, and people. And I was treated like a king by Freddy & Diana and families. If anyone has the chance to visit Colombia, I give a wholehearted recommendation to do it. VIVA MEDELLIN!

A few photos:

The view of Medellin from one of the many modern shopping malls up in the hillside.

A chiva bus (for our party in Montenegro!)

Freddy & Diana (& me) having coffee in city center of Medellin.


FELIZ ANO NUEVO! Diana's family knows how to party, and they kindly let me join!


A street vendor chilling with us at a park at 11:30 p.m. Freddy bought him an orange soda and he stayed with us for about an hour. His eyes got really huge when I told him I was from Los Estados Unidos. :-)

Can you guess how we rang in the New Year 2006? Yup, dancing for hours and then having a drink. 'Twas amazing.


Mmmm... soup, ensalada, arepa (of course!), fish, coconut rice --- yuuuuum! Courtesy of Felipe Gallego and his wonderfully hospitible family!


More good times on the chiva bus. I think the kid's nickname was "Beto" -- and he might be Felipe's younger brother (or maybe a cousin?)


The classic food of Medellin -- whose residents are "Paisas". This food is Bandeja Paisa, which includes fried plantain, avacado, beans, egg, arepa, rice, chinchulla, and "intestine filled with rice cooked in blood" (forget the name). Mmmm!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older