Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, June 11, 2007

It was a gorgeous sunrise

Last night my friends and I held our weekly potluck / bible study / card game. The food was - as always - amazing (hailing from Taiwan, Thailand, and America), and we caught up on life as we watched the first half of the NBA game two blowout . After eating, we shared a nice glass of bubble tea and came back to my apartment for bible study. Our group is looking at the sermon on the mount in Matt. 5, and it's going very well. I was particularly encouraged by vs. 5:14, where the end result of our good works is that God is praised by others. Pretty cool stuff. To cap the night off, we played slave (a Thai card game), and I was every position (queen, slave, 2nd slave) except the king. Maybe next time! Everyone went home about 12:30, and I checked and sent a few emails and retired to my room around 1:00. After lying there for about 20 minutes, I realized that I had a big problem -- I was tired but could not go to sleep at all! I got on the computer and checked up on any impending tropical activity (invest areas in N. Atl and N.E. Pac; N.E. Pac seems most likely to develop). It started raining so I surfed over to the radar page. Then I remembered a link my friend Trygve gave me in Austria where you can watch clips of t.v. shows online, so I checked out some Seinfeld. By then it was getting to be 3 a.m., and I reasoned that I would really need some sleep to function today, so I got off the computer and tried to doze off. About 4 a.m. I realized it was futile, and decided to do something productive with my time. Thus I worked on my research proposal for the post-doc position in the Department of Geophysics at the University of Chile in Santiago from 4 until about 6, at which time I stopped to enjoy the glow coming from the sunrise out my window. Finally about 6:30 my body gave up and dozed off, only to be awoken by my alarm (which I had set for 7:36 a.m., and forgot to reset). I got about four hours of rest/sleep last night, which is enough to make me groggy but functional. Hope your night was better!

2 Comments:

At 4:15 PM, June 11, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

hm... sounds quite interesting man. hope things are going well. what site can you watch tv shows on? can you do it outside the us? talk to u soon and i'll be back in town in a little over a month. i might be going on a trip to northern italy. if not, then somewhere else with my girlfriend. any suggestion for some 8-10 day holiday? talk to you soon. peace

 
At 5:19 PM, July 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard of this book called "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" by David Martyn Lloyd-Jones? Fantastic book. Drew led our team through this book this past year in Salerno(when he could - this book was stolen from him twice). I would highly recommend it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older