Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, April 20, 2007

Online community and tribute

A rough count tonight shows that about 10% of my facebook.com friends have changed their profile pictures to honor and remember the dead at Virginia Tech. (I changed mine, too.) The most common pic (and the one I chose) is shown at left, and it was often accompanied by a logo from my friends' home universities and a slogan similar to "Today we are all Hokies". I've been thinking how our youth culture of today is very different from our parents', and even more than our grandparents', but we definitely have several things in common: a need for community and a desire for joint expressions of grief. Just a few thoughts from tonight.

2 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Love these last 2 posts. Our life has been so crazy I haven't blogged about the VT tragedy but it has been on my mind nonetheless. Just as an FYI, our new blogsite is www.ourcornerofparadise.blogspot.com, in case you were wondering who this is from. Cheers,
BethAnn

 
At 2:20 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

I see it still has our old blog name...ok, cool. Well, that's still our new blogsite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older