Desierto norte de Chile

Saturday, April 07, 2007

2006 taxes

I just spent 2 hrs completing my federal 1040 and state tax forms. Fortunately, I am owed money by both the U.S. IRS and Oklahoma Tax Commission ($199 federal, $122 Okla). However, I recommend that no one earn any income abroad; figuring out Form 1116 was nearly impossible (and consumed a great deal of my time). The form is entirely unclear about several items (or chooses to use terminology with which I am unfamiliar), and the instruction manual does little to elucidate the question. Nonetheless, I think I've figured it out correctly. We'll see if I get a friendly letter from the IRS in a few weeks pointing out any fatal flaws. Unfortunately that is entirely possible given the complexity of the form - and my newness at this tax completion game. The other major downside (besides a ridiculously complex form) to having foreign income is that I am no longer eligible for the free e-file from H&R Block. So I had to use pencil & paper, the old-fashioned way.

Hope your tax-filing days were easier than mine!!

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, April 09, 2007, Blogger Steph said...

We had 2+ inches of snow on Saturday, so I don't feel sorry for you and your flurries!

Ugh, taxes. Glad C took care of that! :)

 
At 1:49 PM, April 09, 2007, Blogger Dianne said...

yeah, we had snow on and off all day for about a total of 5 hrs on saturday... just up on the middle peninsula (gloucester), about an hour 15 north of here, they had 4 inches. sheesh!!!

 
At 1:59 PM, April 12, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Two words for us: Turbo Tax

Well worth the investment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older