Desierto norte de Chile

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Guatemala

** UPDATE ** I realized that I did not give my reason for going to Guatemala. Matt and I are partnering with a group called "Mission Discovery", a christian agency that works with the poor in and around Antigua (which is about an hour outside of Guatemala's capital). We'll be spending a week building homes, working with children (maybe teaching a bit of english even? wouldn't that be exciting!), and simply serving where needed. I really do not know any more details about the trip, other than I am very excited to be going, and that the opportunity to work with the poor carries great significance in my book.

Anyone know anything about Guatemala? My friend Matt Haugland and I will be going there in just over a month for spring break. Tips, suggestions, alerts, and "must-do's" are all welcome.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, February 14, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

they got a sick history (which is why you're probably goin there) i think it was only 10 years ago when their 46 year civil war ended. i could tell you a lot about their history. if you're really interested, we can skype again sometime

 
At 10:14 AM, February 14, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

I have heard that the city of Antigua is beautiful.

They do have a very nasty, violent history, but most of the people I have met from there are extremely nice and hospitable. I'm (yet again) envious in a good way of your travel opportunities.

Be prepared to meet a lot of people who do not speak Spanish, as there is a large population of indigenous folks who speak only their tribal language.

 
At 3:18 PM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Also, since you are traveling to a Third World country, you will likely be drinking (I hope) bottled water. Take some powdered Kool-Aid (or some other drink mix) to break up the monotony of water. It does get old if you don't drink anything but. I found that to be especially handy in Haiti, where the water was filtered but still tasted awful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older