Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, April 20, 2007

Two thoughts tonight

1. Reading another article about the VT shooting, I ran across a very interesting quote. Turns out that one of the guns used in the shooting was bought online (www.thegunsource.com). When interviewed about the connection between his store and the shooting, manager Eric Thompson replied, "I just feel absolutely terrible that this tragedy even happened in the first place." How trite. Isn't it like the prostitute who apologies to her clients who confront her after contracting a STD? Or heck, like the tobacco farmer feeling sorry for smokers who suffer from lung cancer? When you peddle a dangerous good, sad consequences are to be expected, right? Which brings me to my point: guns are a dangerous good, and should be either heavily restricted or just outright banned (I know banishment would require either re-interpretation or appellation of the 2nd amendment, something not out of the question). Do guns ever bring safety? Seriously. Does gun ownership make one less likely to suffer?

Three points of thought: (1) If guns ownership was prohibited, I think that crimes involving guns would decline precipitously. You wouldn't be "protected", but the criminal would also be far less likely to have a gun. (2) Even if you do own a gun, if someone brandishes a gun during a criminal act against your person, you're not going to have time to go retrieve it. And if your aim is bad . . . (3) As Christians, what on earth would we want with a gun? Peter, one of the inner 3 of Jesus's circle, did carry a sword (interesting in its own right), but the only instance of his using it was rebuked by Jesus. Should we be more concerned with making peace than making war? (Note, I'm not saying be non-aggressive or passive; the previously-blogged question "what if an intruder threatens your home & family" deserves action, maybe a well-timed lunge or series of swift kicks. Again, see the point above about your spare time [maybe while said intruder goes to the bathroom] abilities to go and retrieve your firearm, should you have one).

Am I off here? What are your thoughts?

2. Overshadowed by events in Virginia, the past 2 days have been very deadly in Iraq. Over 200 people dead at the hands of extremists within Iraq. Seeing the images, like this one, makes my heart ache for Iraqis. If I haven't mentioned it before, I have a very strong compulsion to hug the first Iraqi man I meet. (Still waiting to meet someone from Iraq. Perhaps my closest chance was at the Climate Change conference in Istanbul. But alas, only Jordanians, Iranians, Palestinians, and Israelis. No Iraqis).


Earlier today, I was inspired by my friend Francine, who posted a copy of Psalm 11. I have included it below. May it be a reminder to you, as it was to me, of God's power in dark times and of his passion for justice.
For the director of music. Of David.

1 In the LORD I take refuge.
How then can you say to me:
"Flee like a bird to your mountain.

2 For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings
to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart.

3 When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?"

4 The LORD is in his holy temple;
the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men;
his eyes examine them.

5 The LORD examines the righteous,
but the wicked and those who love violence
his soul hates.

6 On the wicked he will rain
fiery coals and burning sulfur;
a scorching wind will be their lot.

7 For the LORD is righteous,
he loves justice;
upright men will see his face.

2 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, April 22, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

hm... interesting. you know what people over here say about the shooting? they say "no offense, but this could only happen in america". it's extremely difficutlt, next to impossible, to get a gun here in the CZ. i think that guns are stupid. we should just throw them all in the ocean. that's my voice.

 
At 8:29 AM, May 26, 2007, Blogger mellanie said...

Hey, Brad! This comment is a little late, but I read the blog and felt compelled to share my comment about the prohibition of guns.

I agree that guns are dangerous, and I'm probably the last person who would ever carry one, much less own one. However, I don't think banning them would do any good; it would only make people, especially of this country, more inclined to obtain one. For example, tell someone not to chew gum in class, and what happens? Nearly every student in the classroom has a piece, probably stuck to the roof of their mouths. I think that awareness and knowledge are more powerful than any law, so why not teach people how to properly handle a gun? ...how to defend themselves against a gun? People fear the unknown, but if you remove that fear, then there is nothing to be afraid of. If an assassin is coming after you or you just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, there is little you can do against a trained killer, but for for the majority of gun incidents that occur, they're accidents. Teaching people how to prevent the accident is probably more useful (and practical) than trying to ban something, which only servers to ensure the ban is violated.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen and experienced enough rebellious behavior to understand that banning something is only a tool for making sure that the opposite (of the ban) happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older