Desierto norte de Chile

Thursday, May 10, 2007

I hear they registered for a plasma t.v.

This morning I took care of several things that I've needed to do but didn't have time. First, I went to get a haircut from "Mane Man" on W. Lindsey. The results are fine, but I was intrigued by their coupon policy. I thought I was doing well to scout the phone book to find a $10.99 coupon, but when I handed it to her, she returned a different, $9.99 coupon card. I wonder what she would have said if I asked to use it instead of the $10.99 one. Oh well, only $1.00.

Second, I'm getting my oil changed from Firestone. I say "getting" because I'm posting this entry using a wireless signal - quite strong (4 bars) - acquired here in the waiting room. I have no idea if the signal is their's, but probably not. Fortunately we're in a residential area and someone nearby has an open connection.

After the oil change (~ 15 more mins), I'm heading over to Al's Formal Wear to get measured for Chris & Emily's wedding (which takes place first Saturday in June). Best part about being an usher in Chris's wedding? He is paying for the tux! I've been in over 10 weddings, and only one other time did the groom pay for the tuxedos. My policy - while I've been a student - has been that if I am in the wedding (& have to pay for my own tux), that is my "gift" to the couple. So it looks like Chris & Emily have a different gift coming! I hear they registered for a plasma t.v. ...

In other news, the past few days have been good research-wise. I enjoy going to the schooner room in the union to work; it has just the right level of background noise to allow me to occasionally mumble aloud (sounds weird, I know, but in debugging Fortran code, I've found it helps me to be able to 'talk out' the particularly complex do-loops and multiple arrays). Also, last night, I discovered that I missed a deduction on my federal 1040 tax return, meaning the fed. govt owes me $75 more. Hopefully this additional filing will not trigger the dreaded audit (again, I have no idea how accurate my foreign tax claim was -- I think it's accurate, but their rules were amazingly ambiguous / complex!)

Well, the Firestone guy wants to push tires on me, so I've got to run.

2 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, May 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brad! I hope you find this comment, because I'm not commenting on your most recent entry - but I really like this post. It makes me smile cos I can see you in my mind's eye just chatting about all of this. :)

So, post-STINT plans - it's the question of the hour. I considered very strongly teaching English here in Italy - but the bureaucratic red tape is ridiculous, so if I continue to pursue this it still won't happen for awhile. I have a completed Campus Crusade for Christ staff application sitting on the table staring at me - it's all ready to go. I just have to stick it in the mail and make sure it gets to HQ by June 1. If I go this road, I'll probably go on staff in the States somewhere, most likely a univ. in Florida. So for right now, it looks like I'll be flying back to Florida and living in Lakeland with the folks for awhile. Oh boy...

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for checking in with me! :)

 
At 11:03 AM, May 13, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

hey man, good to hear about thigns. tell chris congrats and i'm pissed i didn't get an invite. too bad i'm leaving a week before his wedding. he's a little turd. yea... tell hiim i said that. hey, so you get back from your interview on the 22 or something? man... i think i'll already be back in tulsa by then. i was plannin on comin to norman on the 20 and 21ist i think. feel free to come to tulsa though :D we'll talk about it i hope. what else is new? if you know anyone that likes me at all, let them kno;w that i'm comin to america. ok... talk to you soon. bye bye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older