Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Fixing a flat

On Friday, I jumped on my bicycle to ride back to my apartment after frisbee and discovered I had a very flat tire. Fortunately, the frisbee field was only a short 7-min walk from home. Yesterday, I consulted the internet (here, here, and here, complete instructions and even photos), and after a call to my resident bike expert, Robin, decided to dive into the task myself. I struggled briefly to unscrew the back tire from the bike frame, but it basically came off by itself after I unhooked it from the gear mechanism. I had a greater struggle to get the tire off the wheel rim, not knowing how the tire really fit onto the rim (part of the time I found myself pulling the inner-tube off the rim, not just the tire). But after about 10 mins, it too was off. Robin suggested putting the inner-tube in water and finding the hole by looking for the bubbles (good suggestion!). I found the hole, more like a tear, but was unable to find anything suspicious protruding from the tire (after gently running my fingers along inside & outside). I put in the new inner-tube before church this morning, and reattached the back tire to the frame. I'll add some air this afternoon. Hopefully whatever poked into my inner-tube has since left my tire ... otherwise this will be a brief ride!

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, September 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

I hope your tire rode well!

 
At 2:08 AM, September 28, 2007, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

hey man... ahh dude, miles is a good friend. sorry. happy belated from me too. dangit, i suck. thanks for the message. does it really cost a grand to santiago? from europe/ or from where? congrats with the paper and good luck with the defense. i'd definitely try and come out if you're there for a few weeks. that'd be fun. i'd try and do it when you could travel around with me maybe a bit. ok. let's work it out. you know my headmaster is in patagonia right now. crazy. ok, talk to you soon. good luck.

ps, you ever gonna be on skype again?

pps, yea heard about starbucks. the coffeeshop was gourmetview (spelled vue) too bad starbucks doesn't have all u can drink coffee, i'd be there . campus corner needs an all u can drink coffeeshop again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older