Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, September 14, 2008

"A day in the life"

I got this idea from my friend Francine.

Because many of my friends & readers don't live in Chile, I thought you guys might be interested in some of the details of my life in Santiago. Here's a typical weekday schedule.

6:30 a.m. Wake up, check weather online, read some of the NY Times and other interesting news & analysis stories about events of the previous days.

7:30 a.m. Run (M, W, Th) or walk (Tu, F) in Parque O'Higgins or (when walking) to Plaza Brasil. Eat a steaming bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon (mmmmm!)

9:00 a.m. Leave for work, arriving 3-4 minutes later, depending on how bad the traffic is. Hehehe. (When the traffic is bad, my commute can take up to 33% longer! A whole extra minute). I login to the computers and continue running and analyzing output from the WRF model.

12:00 (Wednesdays and Fridays): GBU bible study and prayer group at the university.

1:00 p.m. Lunch with colleagues from work. We nearly always go out to eat, and at $4 per outing with full table service, fresh foods (cooked that morning... none of this "fresh off the 18-wheeler and our microwave" stuff!) that include veggies & meat, who wouldn't opt for this meal?

6:30 p.m. Head back home, eat a quick yogurt, and then go for another walk to Plaza Brasil. Mondays & Fridays, stop by the supermarket for fruits, veggies, milk, and a few other odds & ends.

8:00 p.m. Prepare and eat dinner (usually one of spaghetti, vegetable soup, or chicken & mushroom soup, with string beans, potatoes, and/or broccoli).

8:30 p.m. (Wednesdays) bible study group with church.

9:30 p.m. Get ready for bed & prepare to do it all again in the morning.

So now you know a little of how my weekdays go. As you can see, I don't have a lot of scheduled interpersonal interaction, something I'm still working on (but with a steep language barrier, and perceived busyness from both me & any potential friends to hang-out with, it's proven to be harder than I thought!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older