Desierto norte de Chile

Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's the end of the semester-- whew!

I've nearly made it through my first semester of teaching at the Academy. While it's hard to make general or sweeping statements about the future, I expect I'll always remember these students, as they will always be my first class here. I have definitely learned quite a bit about teaching and communicating, and overall I'm pleased with the results. I think my students are well-prepared to succeed in their future major courses, and for those non-major students in my classes, I think they've been exposed to some concepts that will serve them well when they're out in the fleet.

A few lessons:

1- I am a people-pleaser, and that is not the best approach when you're a professor.

2- I oscillate between thinking respect is earned, and respect should be given.

3- Students will (nearly) always want the easiest way out.

4- Meteorology really is a great discipline, full of an amazing real-world laboratory that each day is new and different.

5- I miss Chile and life in Santiago.

6- Thank God it is spring again. I am ready for it to not be winter for about 9 months!

7- While I'm not stressing about it, buying (or trying to buy) a house/condo/property isn't easy. It's exciting to think that I get to shop around for the place I want to live for (at least) the next few years. I also worry about making a bad decision (ending up in an unsafe neighborhood or with a "lemon" property). My current three guiding thoughts are (1) I want to live within biking distance of USNA; (2) I want to live close to friends from the spanish-speaking church; and (3) I want to find a resonably-priced property that's in good condition (and not going to spring $20k of expenses on me in the near future).

8- Today there is a MDT risk of thunderstorms in Okla and the Tx panhandle and I'm excited about following the event online.

9- I owe some photos from Norway to the blog. They're already up on Facebook but I want to add them to the blog.

10- I'm going to join Dr. Godfrey and the UNC-Asheville class in two weeks to head west to the plains for two weeks of chasing. And the combination of 80-degree weather here in Annapolis today, plus the MDT risk, has got me excited about chasing again (I would be chasing today if I were in Okla... there really are few "flies in the ointment", so to speak-- good moisture, good shear, not too many high-clouds or large-scale synoptic forcing, backed low-level flow, and a convergent dryline... all point to a few supercell storms that should be tornadic).

11- Zach is coming to visit this week for a few days -- should be good to reconnect with him and offer hospitality. Not sure what we'll be doing (well, Thu & Fri I have to work), but maybe on Saturday we'll take at least a day trip to visit a city or go hiking or something interesting. Of course I'm content to hang around and veg-out if that's what he wants to do (full-time work means the weekend gets quickly coveted as needed down time!)

Until later...

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, April 25, 2009, Blogger Dianne said...

yay! thanks for the update! have fun with zach and the godfreys and chasing... i'm jealous! i'm also jealous that your semester is almost over... i'm not even halfway through my quarter, it's so weird.

 
At 5:41 PM, April 26, 2009, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

i think a daiquiri night is in store for old time's sake :D :D Hey man, so awesome to hear about everything. Freakin t-minus 3 days. i need to warn you, I have a one hour layover in frankfurt, so i hope i'll be able to make it... god willing. if not, i'll call you of course. see u soon bro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older