Desierto norte de Chile

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Who is my neighbor?

I have returned to Barbados. No more globe-trotting for now. I've departed the latin culture, leaving behind gyration-inspiring music, their incredible spirit of community, cities so full of life, and perhaps most of all, the many poor. For the past 72 hours, I have been reflecting on my recent experience: the fun times, the peoples' faces, the amazing foods. And I read an article today that jolted me to consider my neighbor, especially those displaced or impoverished.
It seems to me that if the church took up the challenge of being neighbors to refugees we could do so much more than what governments are doing, or not doing, as the case may be. And in this case, Matthew’s words are eerily true, as Jesus was a refugee:

“Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” Matt 25: 40

http://www.urbana.org/wtoday.neighbor.cfm
I am praying for specific ways to reach out to those around me - to serve them, to honor them, to cherish their lives. Will you join me in discovering who is our neighbor?

2 Comments:

At 6:56 AM, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll pray with you. You can pray the same prayer for me. As we discussed the other night, I'm living in the "suburbs" and I feel like the people around me are so insulated from the reality of poverty.

 
At 11:27 AM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Signing up myself & my family. It's so easy to live in our Christian-middle-class-I'm-saved-and-comfortable bubble. Stepping outside it can be scary but is so necessary for us as followers of Jesus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older