Desierto norte de Chile

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Barbados Christmas traditions

From chatting with the locals, I've uncovered some Bajan Christmas traditions.

1- Gift-giving is not as extreme as in the USA. Barbadians usually give each family member one gift. The gifts are often opened Christmas Eve.

2- "Christmas cleaning" is a common occurrence in Barbados. It is customary to change the curtains at Christmas, and many families also buy a new rug and one piece of furniture / appliance. Unfortunately, littering is also common, so on my jogging route I now have to dodge an old stove, a table, and other odds & ends.

3- Church services. Almost all Bajans attend a church service on Christmas day. Many services start at 5 a.m.!

4- After church, it is customary to have meals with family, and usually the eldest family member hosts (i.e., a grandparent, or oldest sibling). Although I don't believe it, I hear that turkey is the main dish at Christmas dinner. (And this from the same people who told me just last month that turkey did not exist on the island).

While I am really excited to return to the U.S., I am saddened to leave Barbados. In some ways I even feel slightly guilty for leaving - that my place is here and I shouldn't return so soon. But I am really excited to visit Freddy in Medellin (Colombia) and Jose in Lima (Peru), and that trip originates from the states!

**EDIT** I re-read this post, and it sounds like I am leaving Barbados permanently. That is not the case-- I will return in January for the remainder of my year - which ends at the start of June. Sorry for the confusion!

What are your Christmas traditions? Leave some comments!

2 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, December 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding stupid--or just lazy--where is Medellin?

 
At 10:16 PM, December 15, 2005, Blogger Brad said...

Medellin is the 2nd largest city in Colombia, which is the northernmost country in South America -- and the first country you come to if you followed Central America down from Mexico and thru Panama. Should be fun times!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older