Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, May 22, 2006

Deportation threat: very high

Thank God, this post comes to you from inside the island of Trinidad and not from the netherlands of foreign immigration or customs. Earlier today I was officially denied entry to T&T because my "washed and dried" (and rather beaten-up) passport was deemed not proof of citizenship. The whole story is rather a blur, because it happened so fast, but the immigration officer actually processed my "REJECTION" & "DEPORTATION" papers, complete with the official stamp. She sent me back to the bank of chairs behind the immigration lines and said "wait for a representative of your airline to come to you." (She kept my passport with her, along with the customs form that was now marked, in large letters, "DENIED").

Thirty minutes later, after processing all the other passengers from my BWIA flight and the later-arrived AA flight, she called me back up to continue the deportation process. Fortunately in this interim time, I had the opportunity to collect my thoughts, pray, and calm my nerves. I remembered that the US Embassy in Barbados had given me 'official duty papers', and the Embassy in Port of Spain (supposedly) forwarded my name and passport number to the T&T officials to assist with immigration. The immigration officer became even more agitated when I produced those papers, asking me why I hadn't given them to her in the first place (b/c I was too flustered!), why I marked "leisure" on my immigration form instead of "business" (b/c the enrichment seminars are still leisure to me, plus the trip to Tobago is 100% leisure), and why I was so focused on being 'politically correct' (her words) when I denied traveling with Wendy, the other Fulbrighter, when asked by another immigration officer if we were "traveling together" (in the US, "traveling together" typically means husband & wife, and I barely know Wendy). Once I produced the official Embassy travel form, the immigration officer - and her supervisor, connected to us by telephone - reversed course. She scribbled out the "DENIED" word, stamped my customs form, and sent me on my way, thoroughly chastised for having a washed & dried (and rather well-worn) passport.

So I am here now, safe and cool, and I dont have to clear another foreign immigration officer until Saturday! If nothing else, I am now able to officially claim that I was detained in a foreign country by their immigration & customs. My heart goes out to those whom the US denies entry; I now know what you go through.

P.S.- stay tuned, I might try to post a photo or two of Trinidad & Tobago, once the craziness wears off.

4 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

ok, i admit, i'm laughing! i'm glad it all worked out well, and i hope you have a great time in t&t!!

 
At 6:37 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Brad said...

Hey, no laughing allowed! You can be deported for laughing you know? :)

 
At 7:40 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Bureaucracy at its finest. Government is government no matter where you go...

 
At 12:12 PM, May 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy moses brad! that's the funniest thing i've heard in a long time! i think it's so funny that the west indian governments are so skeptical of american activity - look, we have everything we need in america. we come here to escape the bureaucratic red tape of america.

i'm glad to hear that you're still in one piece. but next time, just know that you don't need to fabricate stories in order to blog. we'll still check your blog and be your friend even if you don't have harrowing details from inside the confines of an immigration office. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older