Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, June 20, 2008

Fútbol and banking

Yesterday I joined up with my neighbors and again cheered Chile on to a victory in the World Cup 2010 qualifying matches, this time against Venezuela. La Roja ("The Red") scored 3 goals in the second half (Venezuela scored 2), with the final goal coming in the 2nd minute of stoppage time. My neighbors really enjoyed the match, and it seemed that Chile played pretty well ... at least better than they did against Bolivia (who was in last place until they somehow stomped Paraguay, which was in first place, 4-2... go figure that one?!) The continental powerhouses, Argentina and Brazil, figure to win the division handedly even though they are in 2nd and 5th places, respectively. The differential between 1st and 5th place is only 4 points (1.5 games), so obviously things will change in the next 12 games to be played. Regardless, it was fun to watch on TV - and listen to the simulcast on radio. The announcer didn't pull any punches with his preferences.... proudly yelling "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL" whenever Chile scored, and quietly muttering "gol" whenever Venezuela scored. Maybe I'll get to go to a national team event in Sept or Oct when Brazil, Colombia, and Argentina come to Santiago.

In other news, this morning I finally received all my paperwork to go back to Banco de Chile and apply for a checking account. The executive was much friendlier this time, helping me complete the multi-page application and sign & fingerprint all the necessary spots (the application was about 10 pages long, and I think I signed it at least 10 times!) She said she'll call me in about a week after the main branch of the bank reviews all my documents and makes the final decision. *Hopefully* the decision will be affirmative! Will keep you posted.

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, June 21, 2008, Blogger mellanie said...

Who would have thought it would take several months to open a checking account at a foreign bank?! I guess I was spoiled when I went to Japan. The International Office at the Japanese school took care of all of that for me, so it was all set up upon my arrival.

I love the blogs! The view from your apt is beautiful, by the way. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older