Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lots of goings & comings

1- Last Friday, I paid over $600 to comply with Maryland laws and change over my driver's license, title to my car, license plate, and car registration. I had to get my car inspected, an ordeal in itself, as the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration says there are "over 1,600 locations" to get the inspection, even though I had to go to 5 car service places to find one that does the state inspection (the Exxon beside the mall, does it for $69.00 and offers walk-up service). I also had to pay the difference in excise (sales) tax between MD & NC (N.Carolina charges 3%, MD 6%), and the license & registration fees. Anyway it took up an entire Fri afternoon, and I understand why people would be reluctant to make the change.

2- My small group through Mariner's church is coming to my apartment this Wednesday. I'm going to make Bean Soup & orange jello dish for them. The group is setup so that each member/couple hosts in rotation, and this week I get the honors. I'm excited to have friends over to my apt for the first time since moving to Annapolis.

3- Classes are going really well. I like my students, the rappor we have, and of course the subject matter. This really is a great job.

4- I visited Philadelphia on President's day last week with Dan Simmons. We saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall (which is across the street from the Chilean consulate, go figure!), and the "Rocky Steps". Pictures are already on Facebook and I'll try to get 'em up here on Blogger too (have I mentioned before that I think uploading photos to blogger is a real pain? I think that explains my reluctance, b/c it takes at least 15 minutes to upload a series of pictures, and then giving them captions is just not easy.)

5- I'm going to Norway for spring break to visit Trygve!!

6- My new status as a Dept of Defense employee means I'm now subject to their various "force protection" policies covering int'l travel... I'm buying the line that "it's for my own good", but their policy is really way too restrictive and encroaching -- the gov't shouldn't extend its already-too-long arm into personal activities that have nothing to do with the gov't.

3 Comments:

At 3:55 AM, February 23, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring some of those Krispy Kreme's when you come, will you? Looking foreward to your coming! I'll make you fall in love with Norway! :)

 
At 9:01 PM, February 24, 2009, Blogger Dianne said...

make sure you come BACK from norway. and my norwegian friends don't think they know yours, bummer. ;-)

 
At 3:34 AM, February 26, 2009, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

I think it's rapport, with a t. when's the big Norwegian adventure? I'm going to Istanbul tomorrow. By night train I think. it's long. i'll be thinking of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older