Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, September 20, 2010

My thoughts, exactly!

The Yahoo! News headline today was "Generation Y Worries Carmakers", and went on to say that the 21-30 y.o. group (of which I am a proud member for the next 3 days!!) own fewer cars and don't drive much (accounting for 14% of miles driven today vs 21% in 1995... but I expect most of that statistic is simply b/c older people don't stop driving until later ages... although it could be symptomic of longer commutes for middle-age people, or of course less driving by young people... statistics are very misleading.)

Anyway, the part of the article that got me was this: "This generation focuses its buying on computers, BlackBerrys, music and software and views commuting a few hours by car a huge productivity waste when they can work using PDAs while taking the bus and train...", to which I give a hearty two thumbs up! I even find my 12-15 min bike commute to be a bore.... 3-6 mins of that is usually spent sitting at stoplights so all the people who drive from far away can go back to their far away places. Hopefully this is a good trend: higher-density living, fewer car-hours driven, more time not spent isolated inside a car. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older