Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Tourist for a day: Barbados public transportation

After snapping some photos of my house and my neighborhood, I made my way down to the street to catch the bus into town. Here is a good spot to discuss "public transportation" in Barbados. Essentially, we have 3 levels of transit: government-owned (big blue bus), private-owned bus (big yellow), private-owned van (white van). The fare is BDS$1.50 (US$0.75), no matter where you start or stop. The privately owned drivers are in stiff competition with each other to get passengers - and thus increase their salary. Thus, they don't care if they speed, pass on a curve, zoom past one another (especially if the van/yellow bus in front of them stops -- that is their big chance!)

While waiting for the bus to go into town, a yellow bus going the other way (out of town) stopped and asked me if I was going to town. Remember, I couldn't be dressed more like a tourist (flowered shirt, backpack, swim trunks, camera). Not wanting to "blow my cover", I ran across the road and boarded the bus going the wrong way. Of course, I knew that the terminus for the bus route by my house is just up the road, so I knew that this bus would turn around soon, so I didn't mind the extra wait.

I found out that the turn-around spot is at a gas station not far from the house. What I didn't realize is that the driver took the opportunity to rest - for TWENTY MINUTES! I was the only passenger on the bus, and he parked it in the corner of the gas station and went inside. Twenty minutes later, he came out and we were on our way!

The gas station at the yellow bus "turnaround":


Inside the yellow bus, after another passenger got on. I am 2 rows from the back on the left side.


Even though you are subject to the whims of the driver, there are several distinct advantages to the "capitalist" public transit system:

1- Unlimited pick-up points. The drivers are so competitive in their desire to get riders, all you have to do is signal (a distinctive "pointing" motion), and they will stop. And they'll wait for you, up to 5 minutes (as I found out last week, when this lady signaled and then went back inside, and came out 5 minutes later!). Drop-off points arent as numerous, but you can ask them, and usually they will stop wherever you want.

2- Breeze inside the van/bus. The faster the drivers complete their route, the more $$ they make. So, when traffic is not too bad, the vans and yellow buses can be found zooming down the back roads, always on the lookout for a prospective passenger. If it isnt raining, you get a nice refreshing breeze in the van/bus.

Disadvantages to the public transit system:

1- Crowds. There is "seating" (if you had no legs, then you would be free to call that space a "seat") for 12 people in the white vans, and 24 in the yellow busses. I can't remember the last time I rode in a white van with fewer than 12 people :)

2- Traffic. Barbados has no freeways, and with a population over 250,000 people crammed onto such a small island, the roads get very crowded. I live probably 4 miles from Bridgetown (the capital city - referred to as "town") but it takes between 45 minutes and an hour to get there on the transit system.

3- Heat. No leg room. Smells. Jerky ride. There's a cliche that says "you get what you pay for". In this case, amen to that! BDS$1.50 doesnt buy much, and it definitely doesnt buy you a luxurious ride into town or back home!

Here is a picture of the bus "station" where I catch either the white vans or the yellow busses back home. I have to get on the bus with the sign "Wanstead / Black Rock / Redmans".


Here is a photo of the public bus station (blue busses), but I haven't yet figured out which of these I can take home.


The yellow busses:


Finally, me crammed in the next-to-the-back seat in the white van. We had 18 passengers (remember, seating for 12!) at the time of this photo.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha... i'm finally getting around to reading your blog, and the pick-up/drop-off process sounds a lot like the method in mexico, at least where i was. and the cost was about the same, 7 pesos (~70 cents) no matter how far you go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older