Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sunday night thoughts.

Tonight I read another excerpt from the Urbana classics, this one from the 1981 conference. Once again I am challenged by the speaker, challenged to deepen my faith in the God I profess to follow. Perhaps the contextual timing is right for me to receive such a message, as I embrace with hesitation the uncertainties of deciding my future: where will I go, what will I do, with whom will I be? These questions are common to students; now is simply my time to take them up. After reminding the audience that Jesus Christ is the great shepherd, Mr. Munger gives this reassurance:
"'Come, follow me,' Jesus said. He did not say where he was going to lead them nor did he designate the place of their ministry. The call of Jesus is first and always to himself, to walk with him and be at his side. His first call is not to a particular mission or movement. He does not hand us a plan telling us exactly where we are to be or what we are to do at any particular moment. Rather, he offers himself, saying, 'Follow me.' Martin Luther confessed, 'I do not know the way that I take, but well do I know my guide.'

We need not be anxious about getting the right directions from God or be concerned about whether we will have the courage to follow his direction. Instead, we are simply to put ourselves in the shepherd's care. If we want to do his will, he will see to it that we have the necessary information and put within us the desire and the energy to move out with him. He is able even to overrule past mistakes and in the process mature us in Christian life and service. The words of the apostle Paul encourage us: 'God is always at work in you to make you willing and able to obey his own purpose.'

Here is the key to guidance: we must be willing to do God's will before we know what it is. To trust ourselves to him. To be taught, shaped and led as he shall choose."
Mr. Munger goes on to say that the way we are "taught, shaped, and led" is through daily prayer, scripture study, and fellowship with other followers of Christ. Sounds reasonable to this doubter! I don't know what will come from these decisions to be made, but I am definitely challenged to abandon my fears and cling to all that is promised me by God. Your thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger Steph said...

Wow, Brad, I really needed that reminder! Thanks!

Nice Martin Luther quote! I think Luther was one of the most interesting people in all of history, but I'm a little biased, being Lutheran and all! :)

 
At 2:05 PM, October 09, 2006, Blogger lizard said...

That rings loud and clear with me, brother. I need to do what I know I should be doing right now instead of being concerned with everything I don't know.

By the way, check out the cold front we'll be getting in Norman on Thursday...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older