Desierto norte de Chile

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gettin' in on this whole economic crisis bit

Tonight I read that the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or the FDIC, has taken over Washington Mutual and resold it to JPMorgan Chase. In a normal financial setting, this would have been huge news, as Washington Mutual is by far the largest main-stream bank to "go under" (as I understand it, the bank didn't actually fold, but just needed help selling itself... stay tuned to see if Washington Mutual, as it was earlier this afternoon, remains the same company... I think it's not any more.) Of course with the Congress, the White House, and candidates McCain and Obama figuring out how to throw $700 billion of US taxpayer money to plug a "collapsing dike" (as Bill O'Reilly put it tonight), the WaMu transition is largely unnoticed.

So why is it important to me? Well it turns out that I actually have a deposit account at Washington Mutual (or, as it might be, I am now a proud client of JPMorgan Chase). I'm not worried about that small CD, as it was a case of "interest rate chasing" with some funds I didn't want to put into the stock market (does anyone want to put money into the stock market now? With the threat of 20%+ losses looming? Granted the market could be at a minimum now and this might actually turn out to be a very good time to buy... but the uncertainty is still there!)

I started thinking, what is $700 billion dollars? I mean, what does it actually mean? It looks like a handful of guys (and gals... equal-opportunity bashing!) in southern Manhattan took a beautiful thing, Newtonian calculus, and screwed with it, selling worthless investments under the fancy headline of "derivaties." And now we, the 300 million-strong United States of America, have to bail them out of their "bad investments". To me the phrase "bad investments" is a euphemism: why not call it for what it is: unbridled greed? For it seems like this handful (maybe a few hundred people, plus secretaries & bureaucratic staff?) of people have lost the equivalent of:

5% of the US annual gross domestic product. That's like taking the city of Norman, OK, with its population of 100,000, and abolishing the economic activity of 5,000 of them for 2007.

1% of the *world* gross domestic product. That's the economic activity of 70,000,000 people!

Maybe some of my readers with better economic or business sense than I can offer some insight: how can 100 "traders" (gamblers?), in a few months' time, wipe out the equivalent of the annual production of 70 million people??! It's mind-boggling. I liked the analogy from McDonalds: a $700 billion bail-out is enough to buy each American 2,000 McD's apple pies. :-) As Jon Stewart joked, maybe the newly homeless could build a make-shift home out of those pies?

2 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, September 25, 2008, Blogger Dianne said...

well, wamu didn't help itself with customer service. i had (or i guess i still have, with a $0 balance) a credit card with them. but they messed up my account, then 3 months later messed it up again and charged me the interest, even tho it was their fault. each time i called and spoke to people who were unhelpful, claimed to connect me to their supervisor and actually hung up on me, put my call back in the regular circulation of calls, etc. i got NO help from them even explaining what happened, and i spent 2 hours on the phone on hold, with said people, and getting hung up on. not fun. no wonder they suck so bad.
(as a side note, i reactivated an old card with capital one, and they have been nothing but fabulous.)

 
At 7:49 PM, September 26, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Personally I'm fairly excited about being forced to give the government $2,300 so they can give it banks who bought shoddy loans. I mean really how much more patriotic can you get?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older