Desierto norte de Chile

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Three days later and the snow has gone ... nowhere

The forecast was exciting: checking new model runs every 6 hrs, making a personal consensus forecast between the NAM, GFS, CMC, NOGAPS, and ECMWF models, trying to discern which solution would be most correct. The event itself was also exciting: following trends in surface conditions, watching the NWS upgrade (then later downgrade) Anne Arundel County to (from) a Blizzard Warning, auto-looping the Sterling radar while simulcasting The Weather Channel, and bundling up every few hours to go walking around the neighborhood or out to measure the snow depth.

Now, three days after the storm, it's a hassle. I have to grip my way from my back door to my car, grasping first the awning, then the fence, then the car itself, to guard against slipping on the solid sheet of ice that forms every night as the gigantic snow pile (left courtesy of our condo association's hired plower, who plowed twice on Saturday) melts and then refreezes. My daily jog, while still happening, consists of maybe 2 miles (instead of 3.75 like normal), and I'm still running in my hiking boots... which, I have to admit, are remarkably comfortable while on the snow... when I hit the few dry pavement parts, they quickly become cumbersome.

All this to say is that I'm ready for "The Big Melt". Most assuredly, though, this snow will still be here (at least the gigantic plowed piles) when I return from Nicaragua on Jan 8th.


1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, December 23, 2009, Anonymous Kristy said...

Brad, can I just say that I'm really impressed that you run, even when there is a ton of snow? That's dedication.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older