Desierto norte de Chile

Sunday, October 17, 2010

31 - not easy to say in Spanish

Last month I celebrated my 31st birthday! I had about 20 friends from church & small group over for a celebration cookout. I've discovered that for whatever reason, numbers that end in "one" are hard for me to say in Spanish... do you say "Tengo..." "treinta un", "treinta uno", "treinta y un", or "treinta y uno" ... "años"? The trouble with this number is that "uno" is one, but my age is plural... and the adjective "a" (as in "a tree"... "un arbol"), is "un" and it's very similar to "uno". Hopefully I'll figure it out by September 2011!

Here are some pictures from last month.












1 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, October 17, 2010, Blogger Saintly Nurse said...

Here's what I've managed to figure out: If it's immediately preceding the nouns it enumerates, then it's 'treinta y un'. If not, then it's 'treinta y uno.'

This may not be the true rule, but I've noticed to be the case colloquially.

Someone feel free to come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older