Desierto norte de Chile

Friday, December 03, 2010

Lots going on: proposals, papers, and travel, oh my!

So after getting back from Spain & Portugal (I'll put up a blog post on here soon, don't worry!) last week, I had a very productive work week this week. I heard back from my paper submission to Journal of Hydrometeorology: accept pending revisions. The revisions look constructive & not too hard to tackle, which is great! I've also nearly gotten my ONR grant proposal finished, just waiting on a few institutional letters & tidying up the language. I'm also moving ahead with Chile trip plans; we're less than 4 weeks out from heading down on a Faculty-led cultural trip (am excited for sure!). Before heading to Santiago, though, I'll be spending a few days in Greenville & Cary for Christmas with family. I also heard that my research students are having a stellar semester: one was selected as a Rhodes Scholar, the other to replace her as Brigade Commander (equivalent position to Student Body president, but not a "popularity contest" like in other universities...) I hope to take him (the Brigade Commander-select) to an air quality conference in San Diego in March (pending funding availability), and I'm outlining a paper with him for his work. I also have another paper already outlined, and last week I lined up a great Chilean collaborator to work with me on interpreting the data. Finally, I'm working with my coauthor to finish up our J. Geoscience Education paper (need to "needle" him to get on it!), and have a J. College Science Teaching paper nearly ready to be submitted.

So these next 6 months are shaping up to be very active! For those keeping count:

- J. Hydromet paper (accepted)
- J. Geosc. Edu. paper (accepted)
- J. Coll. Sci. Edu. paper (in preparation, nearly ready for submission)
- J. Clim. paper (outlined; collaborator identified & eager to help)
- J. xxxx paper (not sure what journal, but the idea is clear, and could be a major contribution)
- ONR grant proposal (almost ready for submission)
- Chile trip with 4 students
- San Diego air quality conference (presenting w/ a student)

I think the only downside is that I haven't been able to put as much into teaching recently- which is ironic because the teaching is why this job was so attractive to me in the first place! Nonetheless I'm excited about all these opportunities! I am not so full of hubris as to think I'm a shoe-in, but if all these "irons in the fire" come to fruition, I don't think I'll need to sweat the tenure process when it comes up in a few years.

Stay tuned!!

1 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, December 03, 2010, Blogger Dianne said...

All of that sounds awesome!! Congrats! Let me know when you'll be in SD... It'd be great to meet up with you, if we can!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older