Desierto norte de Chile

Monday, April 03, 2006

Cultural conundrum

On the walk home from ShopSmart (my local grocery store) tonight, I had a rather interesting encounter. The minivan driver stopped and asked me if I "want a drop". It's rather common for Barbadians to stop and offer rides to each other, especially to pedestrians carrying packages. But he was driving a minivan, which costs BDS$1.50 per ride. Thinking he was trying to get me into his van, I politely refused, but as he drove off, I doubted myself and felt bad about (potentially) refusing his hospitality. I asked my roommate & her Bajan boyfriend, and they agreed that the phrase "want a drop" supercedes the fact that he was driving a minivan. Add in that the driver was probably the same guy who drove me to the university this morning, and yea, I passed up a free ride home from the store. It was a crazy cross-cultural conundrum for sure!

1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, April 07, 2006, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

i had also an interesting cultural thing happen tonight. Maybe a little more abstract than yours. So one of my girl students was just talking and then leans over and says... well, I'll email you, it's probably more appropriate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older