Desierto norte de Chile

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thunderstorms in Santiago, and Vista SP1

Two more things tonight: first, tonight we are having only the second thunderstorm since I arrived in Santiago (since December). The wind is gusty and the rain coming in squalls. It should be an interesting night!

Second, I was prompted earlier this afternoon to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1. Since I've only had vista for a few months, it seemed weird to already be installing SP1, but I guess there are enough problems that Microsoft has put one together (usually the updates come out one by one, or a few at a time, and I understand the "service packs" to be major updates). During the initial install prompt, I was alerted to close all my programs and keep my laptop plugged in, as the install "could take up to 1 hour" to complete. Are you kidding me? I'm going to start it when I go to bed, but of course knowing Microsoft and Vista, I will undoubtedly be prompted to click "OK" at multiple points during the install. Furthermore, Microsoft knows it is virtually impossible to close all running programs (a simple CTRL-ALT-DEL reveals that at any given time, between 20 and 40 applications are active... many of them executed by Windows itself). Anyway, I'll give SP1 my best shot, and we'll see what comes in the morning.

1 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, July 30, 2008, Blogger Dianne said...

so did it successfully update?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older