Desierto norte de Chile

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ode to Zach

Today my good friend Zach returned to the US after 3 years teaching english (and other fun activities) in the Czech Republic. I met Zach in his first semester at OU, back when he was immersed in the trend of not wearing shoes and saying things like "huzzah" and such. He changed a little by his sophomore year (starting with wearing shoes more often), and he and I hung out pretty much bi-weekly for the next 2 years. Sometimes we struggled to carry a conversation -- the two of us not always being on the same page - but in those times, we just enjoyed the quietness. Zach graduated with honors in only 3 years! Then he took a plunge very few people ever do - going overseas, to a "needy" place (in terms of few english teachers combined with few believers) - and devoted three full years of his life to the Kralupians. I am very proud of him and the things he has accomplished (he once decided after a few weeks of jogging that he would run the Prague marathon the following week... so with no training whatsoever, he pulled it off!) I'm neither creative nor suave, so I'm publically posting this little composition to my friend Zach. I'm not around to personally welcome you home, friend, so have a strawberry rum daiquiri for me, ok? And celebrate those long days of speaking only english!!
Ode to Zach

Oh, yes you did roam,
In a land far from home,
Where the folk talk all funny all day.
But taught them you did,
They nearly made you their kid,
And for them now you will always pray.

Home, yes Zach is back home,
Where folk still talk funny all day.
Tornadoes and plains; sooner girls, football games,
But for them you will still always pray.

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, August 04, 2008, Blogger Zach Barnes said...

:D thanks man, you're a great friend and I count you as someone who'll always be there for me, Heck, you're the only normanite I have kept up with "regularly" the past 3 years. For the record, i don't believe "huzzah" was one of my phrases :D but i will be now, huzzah! And unfortunately, I didn't graduate with honors, but it definitely sounds better than just graduating in 3 years. thanks for the shout out. talk to you soon bro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

    Newer›  ‹Older